top of page

English Language Requirements

If one of the following applies, you do not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application:

  • you are enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange programme, a postgraduate research course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored students

  • you have completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland

  • you are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland

  • in the two years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.


If you do need to provide English language proficiency, the following table will assist you in determining what is required.

**The test must have been taken no more than two years before you apply for your student visa**

bottom of page